Saturday, December 31, 2016

Goodbye 2016


2016 will not be missed. As usual, there are no new year resolutions for 2017, as I live in the now, in the present, in the moment. Future is just a delayed present and it wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for us humans inventing the concept of time.

This year, I swam in the Irish Sea and in the Atlantic. I've dropped my mobile phone TWICE in the toilet (it survived to tell the story). I've seen some sort of UFO (Alina said it looked like a pussy in the sky). I got food poisoning from oysters TWICE this Summer but was stubborn enough to try them again and it was fine - turns out it was just bad luck. I saw Mitski, Le Butcherettes, Peaches and, more importantly, the notorious Grace Jones live - needless to say, it was the best show I've ever witnessed. I didn't date anyone at all, instead I netflixed by myself, ate my weight in salted caramel and watched my Canadian flatmate twerking to DMX while the dog wiped his snout in my robe like it's a giant napkin already stained with mulled wine. I've managed to tame the highs and lows of this perpetual rollercoaster that is my life - to an extent. I've danced to Prince, I've cried to George Michael, I've toasted to Bowie and Leonard Cohen all together in electric dreams. I've listened way too much to Dead or Alive so Pete Burns is still more alive than dead in my 80s imaginary Neverland.

I ate moules frites in Belgium, falafels and space cakes in Rotterdam, buttermilk pancakes in Galway, crayfish in Howth, and tuna paté in Lagos. Much to my dismay, I didn't find myself free to unleash my wanderlust wings - there wasn't enough time or money. But hey, I'm not homeless or unemployed (yet!) so let's focus on the bright side of things.

I hid under the Christmas tree after too much Benylin, I climbed Bray Head, I spotted a fox in my backyard, I went to a really interesting Astronomy lecture in Trinity College and then had pizza and Peroni before heading home by myself, transfixed by the night lights mirrored in the Liffey. I went to White Rock Beach for the first time.

It was a lukewarm year, 2016.

4 comments:

  1. I will miss 2016, it was a turning point year in my life,the best one since September 2009 came my way. No resolutions because I also live mostly in the now ahah.
    https://bloglairdutemps.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3

    ps, I always feel like when I see a fox it's a sign of good luck. no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best in this new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A árvore de Natal que enfeitou o jardim. :-)
    Que 2017 seja um pouco melhor.
    xx

    ReplyDelete